unpopular oppinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greekmythguy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. greekmythguy

Discord Staff

Hi all,

In case you forgot me I am greekmythguy/Griffin and I used to be really active here.
    This thread is a suggestion but I am going to keep it kind of short.

Over the past months, Arcadian has seen a decline in players. Some might argue that this has been happening for a while or that it is due to season shifts, however it is indisputable that the player base in shrinking.

I would like to put forward the suggestion that Arcadian update to 1.14 as soon as it is released.
    For those of you who have not kept up with Mojang news, 1.14 "The Village and Pillage Update" is slated for early 2019 and looks to be the most significant update to the game in quite a while.

By updating to 1.14, Arcadian would be able to do two major things: attract the 'new' or 'up-to-date' players who stick to latest version, and snag all the people who join the 1.14 scene to participate in the new pvp style. A drawback of this suggestion is that Arcadian could lose some of its current player base and need to attract a new one.

Some cool things that 1.14 would bring Arcadian:
    -more building potential with bamboo, campfire, new stairs, etc
    -more mobs like the panda and foxes plus the new cats
    -cool decorations like berry bushes and bamboo plants
    -crossbows

For reference, check out these links

~Griffin

-

-https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.14

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Charlie

Deity SkyLord Recruit Paladin

I'd rather stick to 1.8 but 1.14 seems cool for singleplayer :')

3. RektByLag

Supreme Paladin

I don't think KitPvP's 3 players are that essential anymore

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Unavailables

If we were to update to 1.14 I think it should only be for creative and survival if it's added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fras

fras Well-Known Member

Arcadian has been on a downwards spiral basically since Landon got the boot. At this point, I can't see Arcadian growing (even with the implementation of your suggestions) and I think its time they shut the doors. Not to mention Arcadian can hardly keep itself up right now, and according to the Wiki 1.14 is supposed to be released early 2019 (but knowing Mojang it will probably be even later than that) which at that time, the state of Arcadian would more than likely be worse than it is right now, if even still up and running.
    Also it would probably cost a lot to update all the plugins to 1.14 (which Arcadian can't afford.) So sorry to tell you, but this probably can't happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Tinkyyy

SkyGod

But stick with 1.8 pvp

7. TheAgeOfDragons

Trial Moderator

1.8.9 still has the largest player base right now so we could be hurting ourselves by doing something like this

8. CurryOverMJ

CurryOverMJ Member

I think 1.8 is best right now because most players use it, especially for pvp. And I dont think this will make the server a lot more alive. I think they just need new content once every 1-2 weeks but due to staff being busy its hard to do that, but if/when they could it would be great.

9. greekmythguy

Discord Staff

that isn't true

not correct but if it was then it would mean more competition...think about business strategies

truth

pointless when nobody even plays the server, especially kitpvp

10. WeChanDoIt

Phantom Novice

just make arcadianmc bedrock edition, everything will be fine!

11. greekmythguy

Discord Staff

1.8.9 Version

In the defense of 1.8.9

Many players enjoy 1.8.9 version both for the PvP style and for comfort because it is what they are used to playing. The current player base uses this version so it should stay.

Arguments About 1.8.9

popular belief states that that most players still use this version but this is a misconception stemming from the fact that the biggest servers (i.e Hypixel) use this version and does not take into account that most of the Minecraft player base is up to date and many are playing offline

1.14 Version

In defense of 1.14
    The new 1.14 version has many new blocks and features which not only improve visuals but also change PvP and other activities which makes the game fresh and enjoyable. In 2018 "many" people who have been away from the game are coming back and playing offline just too see the new visuals and mechanics

Arguments About 1.14
    Arguments against this version state that Mojang may not actually release it till mid 2019 and by that point Arcadian may be past a saving point. PvP is much different than 1.8.9 making it uncomfortable for many players that never use the current versions

Putting things together

Minecraft is a cool game but 1.8.9 servers constantly lose players not only because of bigger games but because it has looked and felt the same for years and without changes it gets boring and begins to feel dated. Updating to a new version offers a solution to this but it also poses the threat of hurting a player base that is used to 1.8.9 and doesn't like change in style or PvP mechanics. 1.14 would offer a new style of PvP with crossbows but this might not appeal to everyone. 1.14 also offers the chance to tap into the most valuable resource for servers: players who are new to multiplayer who's loyalty can be easily won. With almost a hundred million players per month the game is not dead and still has a lot of potential*.

An integrative solution

"Integrative thinking" is a through style used by some of the most prominent business people in the world like Issy Sharp and Bob Young and involves using the "opposable mind" to hold two contradictory ideas and then create a third idea/solution. In other words rather than an "either or" response it prompts greater salience and the formation of a unique solution.

So what could this be for Arcadian? I won't claim to be any sort of expert or to have any sort of mast plan, however it seems that a good idea could be to update the server to 1.14, including kitpvp, and then offer some pvp modes which utilize a plugin to be 1.8.9 style. This solution would allow current players to keep fighting with 1.8.9 while making the server current version so as to draw new players and make the game look and feel fresh again.

*the game is not dying but has 91 million players each month https://www.businessinsider.com/minecraft-has-74-million-monthly-players-2018-1

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheAgeOfDragons

Trial Moderator

Give me a source of this for JAVA edition players since arcadian can only connect to those players. Also another major flaw in this point is that if these players are only playing online then they already have no chance at being on arcadian since arcadian is multiplayer.
    The new pvp system doesn't make the game "fresh and enjoyable" at all for me personally it makes the game slow and repetitive. Also for the people who are coming back that still doesn't help us seeing how for arcadian there aren't many features we could really add with these updates. We don't have any gamemode right now that is anything like survival which is what the update aquatic was about (and the main reason people came back). The only real gain would be some smaller features and the blocks and some people don't even properly build on here.]
    For crossbows (and I'm going to include tridents here as well) there are ways to do things similar to that without updating and while also keeping the pvp which people enjoy. Yes they are guaranteed to be less buggy but we would lose too many people from getting those features in and even if we got a 1.8 pvp plugin they still are very buggy atm and do not feel natural at all.
    We can simply do more with updates than we can with these official releases because the official releases have major problems with them in their current state that would drive away players. Until mojang fixes the pvp divide in the community I believe we shouldn't update.

13. Sean_Da_Sheep

SkyLord

Although I don't agree that we should completely update, I think it would be cool to add something like survival that only has 1.14!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chimps

Moderator Warrior Recruit Trainee Lord

Hmm I do like 1.8.9, however if Arcadian wanted to update I would be down for that :) - been playing a lot of survival recently so as Sean said a orientated server to that game-mode would be chill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brandy

Brandy Skyblock OG Lead
    Administrator

If we do this, my first act will be to world edit in an Iron Phoenix and give free iron to everyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SimonLoL

Deity SkyLord Novice Paladin

yeah i'll touch u

17. Rioichi667

Novice Legend

Probably will be 10 people

18. WeChanDoIt

Phantom Novice

the highest i've seen amc at this month was 39 people, that's worse than it was before :(

19. aGuy_

aGuy_ Well-Known Member

honestly gameplay-wise 1.14 wins over 1.8 by a 1000 miles. the only thing that would get sacrificed is blockhitting which then again not really since there is shields. 1.8 warriors should stop being so autistic

#19 aGuy_, Oct 15, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 5:57 PM
  20. WeChanDoIt

Phantom Novice

honesty if people would stop complaining about change everything would be better

• Like Like x 1